Sunday, May 04, 2008

Hello all (:

Yes I am back here, again. I hope all of you will go download the recordings of the pieces okay, not cos some naggy senior is asking you to do so, and so you go download it and then chuck it aside somewhere in your computer files and never touch it again.

That's not the point. The point is so that you have a good idea of how the music should sound like, and that kind of sound is what everybody should be working towards. I don't mean that you should blindly attempt to sound exactly like the recording. It should work as a good reference point for everybody.

Some checkpoints for everybody during rehearsal:
1) How is my tone? (ie steady, wavering, scratchy, inconstant etc)
2) Am I following the composer's directions? (ie dynamics, articulation etc. It's amazing how many people overlook this)
3) Do I blend in together with the rest of my section?
4) Am I satisfied with my level of playing? What can I do to improve? (ie phrasing, intonation, mood, tone etc)
5) Do I pay attention to the conductor during rehearsal? Do I respond to him?

These 5 points are the basics that everybody must pay careful attention to. So instead of talking during rehearsal, you can think about these 5 points!

All the way, only 26 days more to Jubilate! (rhymes)

<3 Mary-Anne

No comments: